Will the Trump 2020 presidential campaign simply air unedited footage of Democrats talking as a strategy to win votes? No, that's not true: It is a satirical article intended to make a joke of the controversy between progressive Democrats and President Trump. While the campaign did release a video ad featuring clips of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and other members of her "Squad" calling ICE immigrant detention centers "concentration camps," it is not the campaign's full strategy.
The story originated from an article published by the satire news website Babylonbee.com on July 16, 2019 titled "Trump 2020 Campaign To Simply Air Unedited Footage Of Democrats Talking" (archived here) which opened:
The Trump campaign has unveiled its 2020 campaign strategy of airing unedited footage of speeches and press conferences by far-left Democrats like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and that other one.
GOP commercials will air the footage around the clock. The speeches will not be edited in any way. Rather than pushing their own policy proposals, Republicans will just remind the nation of just who it is they're running against.
"We were pretty concerned when Trump was tweeting those racially charged things the other day," said one campaign strategist. "But now we're in the clear again. I mean, he'll say something problematic again soon. But we don't even have to defend it. We just have to show people the Dems tripping over themselves to say something even crazier."
Users on social media only saw this title, description and thumbnail:
WASHINGTON, D.C.--The Trump campaign has unveiled its 2020 campaign strategy of airing unedited footage of speeches and press conferences by far-left Democrats like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and that other one.GOP commercials will air the footage around the clock. The speeches will not be edited in any way. Rather than pushing t ...
This is an actual GOP video produced mostly using Democrat's talking:
We enjoy well done satire, when it is labeled properly. If you see the story on any other site presented as NEWS, we would consider that false.
But "The Babylon Bee" comes with following dislaimer on every page:
The Babylon Bee is Your Trusted Source For Christian News Satire.
Some of their greatest past hits include:
- Joel Osteen Sails Luxury Yacht Through Flooded Houston To Pass Out Copies Of 'Your Best Life Now'
- Steven Furtick Signs 6-Year, $110 Million Contract With Lakewood Church
- Another Actress Accuses Kirk Cameron Of Treating Her With Respect
- ISIS Lays Down Arms After Katy Perry's Impassioned Plea To 'Like, Just Co-Exist'
With a track record like that it is clear that you shouldn't take anything posted on the site seriously and you definitely shouldn't confuse it with real news.
We wrote about babylonbee.com before, here are our most recent articles that mention the site:
- Fake News: Ilhan Omar Did NOT Say: 'If Israel Is So Innocent, Then Why Do They Insist On Being Jews?'
- Fake News: Joe Biden NOT Appointed As Head Of TSA
- Fake News: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Economics Degree NOT Recalled
- April Fools Day 2019: Running List of Jokes, Pranks and General Foolery...
- Fake News: Jussie Smollett Did NOT Receive Prestigious NAACP Award For His Work Creating Jobs For Nigerian-Americans