Fact Check: Turpentine Oil Is NOT A Remedy To Cleanse Parasites

Fact Check

  • by: Uliana Malashenko
Fact Check: Turpentine Oil Is NOT A Remedy To Cleanse Parasites Toxic

Is turpentine a proven, safe remedy for parasite cleanses? No, that's not true: It's a paint thinner that, if consumed orally, may be lethal even in small amounts, especially in children.

The claim first appeared in a TikTok video on April 6, 2022.

The caption said:

#greenscreen This is the only parasite cleanse you'll ever need! #parasite #parasitecleanse #detox #naturalhealing #turpentine #foryou

The clip opened:

Stop scrolling! If you're looking for a parasite cleanse, your mind is about to be blown.

The host briefly describes parasite symptoms and moves to advertising his "remedy" at the 0:23 mark:

All you need is your turpentine pure gum spirits, three sugar cubes, a lemon wedge and a dropper. And you can get these sugar cubes from just about any grocery store. The key is to stack the sugar cubes and drop them with turpentine until each cube is completely absorbed. And there, you have it. Don't let it scare you. Turpentine is simply pine resin. It actually has a really pleasant piney smell.

Here is how the video appeared at the time of writing:

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 7.54.27 PM.png

(Source: TikTok screenshot taken on Thu Sep 8 23:54:27 2022 UTC)

The clip was published by the account of Cartiear J. Madlock, the founder of the Vegan Black Guy website, an online store that sells sea moss and other supplements.

Made from the resin of pine trees, turpentine oil is mostly known today as a paint thinner. It is also used in microdoses in chest rubs, household cleaning solutions and cosmetics such as soaps. Two hundred years ago, turpentine was widely prescribed against diseases like malaria and worms, but at the turn of the 20th century, physicians switched to safer options.

If taken orally, turpentine oil is very toxic. According to Mount Sinai, one of the major Manhattan-based hospital networks, turpentine poisoning may result in loss of vision, kidney failure, seizures and burns of the esophagus. Natural Medicines, an evidence-based supplement database, warns that even very small amounts of this oil may cause death if ingested directly:

As little as 15 mL (about 1 tablespoon) can be lethal in children, and taking 120-180 mL (about a half cup) can be lethal in adults.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, parasites can live in the bloodstream and into the skin or in the lungs. Humans may get parasites through animals, mosquito bites or contaminated water or food. Infections, including the ones caused by parasites, can be prevented by practicing good personal hygiene, following a food safety protocol and vaccination.

Want to inform others about the accuracy of this story?

See who is sharing it (it might even be your friends...) and leave the link in the comments.:

  Uliana Malashenko

Uliana Malashenko is a New York-based freelance writer and fact checker.

Read more about or contact Uliana Malashenko

About Us

International Fact-Checking Organization Meta Third-Party Fact Checker

Lead Stories is a fact checking website that is always looking for the latest false, misleading, deceptive or inaccurate stories, videos or images going viral on the internet.
Spotted something? Let us know!.

Lead Stories is a:


Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from Lead Stories LLC:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.

Most Read

Most Recent

Share your opinion