Is eating at Chick-Fil-A soon to be a hate crime according to newly drafted legislation from the Democrats? Of course not, that story is not true. It originated on a Christian themed satire website that was mocking the recent social media storm that erupted after the CEO of Twitter was criticized for ordering a sandwich from the chain during Pride Month.
CLOSE Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey started a social media firestorm and then apologized after he tweeted that he ordered food from Chick-fil-A. Critics jumped on Dorsey for supporting Chick-fil-A during the month of June, which is Pride Month for the LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning) community.
The satirical story originated from an article published by The Babylon Bee on June 12, 2018 titled "House Democrats Draft Legislation That Would Make It A Hate Crime To Eat At Chick-Fil-A" (archived here) which opened:
WASHINGTON, D.C.--Under intense pressure from their left-leaning constituents to do something about the dangerous, Christian-founded restaurant chain, Democrats in the House of Representatives unveiled legislation Tuesday that would make it a hate crime to eat at Chick-fil-A.
The CFAHATE Act Of 2018 would make it a hate crime punishable by federal law to dine at the restaurant or use its drive-thru, with extra punishments for people who post that they're eating at the restaurant on their social media accounts. The legislation would also impose heftier penalties for anyone who patronizes the extremist hate group's chicken sandwich establishments during Pride Month.
Users on social media only saw this title, description and thumbnail:
WASHINGTON, D.C.--Under intense pressure from their left-leaning constituents to do something about the dangerous, Christian-founded restaurant chain, Democrats in the House of Representatives unveiled legislation Tuesday that would make it a hate crime to eat at Chick-fil-A. The CFAHATE Act Of 2018 would make it a hate crime punishable by federal law to dine at ...
But "The Babylon Bee" comes with following dislaimer on every page:
The Babylon Bee is Your Trusted Source For Christian News Satire.
Some of their greatest past hits include:
- Joel Osteen Sails Luxury Yacht Through Flooded Houston To Pass Out Copies Of 'Your Best Life Now'
- Steven Furtick Signs 6-Year, $110 Million Contract With Lakewood Church
- Another Actress Accuses Kirk Cameron Of Treating Her With Respect
- ISIS Lays Down Arms After Katy Perry's Impassioned Plea To 'Like, Just Co-Exist'
With a track record like that it is clear that you shouldn't take anything posted on the site seriously and you definitely shouldn't confuse it with real news.
We wrote about babylonbee.com before, here are our most recent articles that mention the site:
- Fake News: Obamas Did NOT Promise To Donate All Proceeds From Multimillion-Dollar Book, Netflix Deals To Combat Wealth Inequality
- Fake News: YouTube Did NOT Flag All 'Mister Rogers' Videos As Hate Speech
- Fake News: Taco Bell Will NOT Only Serve Customers Of Mexican Descent To Fight Cultural Appropriation
- Fake News: Planned Parenthood Did NOT Defend Bill Cosby, Did NOT Say: 'Sexual Assault Is Only 3% Of What He Does'
- Fake News: Prime Minister Did NOT Issue Reminder To UK Parents That The State Owns Their Children