Did President Donald Trump unveil right-wing Infowars talk show host Alex Jones as his pick for Supreme Court Justice? No, that's not true: even though the President can in theory nominate anybody he wants, no nomination has been made at the time of writing and the news about Jones being proposed came from a Christian-themed satire website. It is not real.
The story originated from an article published by The Babylon Been on July 9, 2018 titled "Trump Finally Unveils SCOTUS Nominee: Alex Jones" (archived here) which opened:
WASHINGTON, D.C.--Amid breathless anticipation for the president's second pick to the Supreme Court of the United States, President Trump spilled the beans on Twitter Monday afternoon that he had selected conspiracy theorist and talk show host Alex Jones as his nominee for the nation's highest court.
Trump quickly called a press conference at which he introduced his nominee.
"I like the stuff he says on his show. Good stuff. The best stuff, really," Trump said. "Whereas all the other candidates for the Supreme Court were heavily involved in the Deep State New World Order, Alex Jones sees right through all the lies. In a world of fake news, Alex cuts through all the BS to bring us the unvarnished truth about UFOs, weather control, and the reptilian plot to overthrow our plane of existence."
Users on social media who only saw this title, description and thumbnail might have gotten the impression it was a real news story:
Trump Finally Unveils SCOTUS Nominee: Alex Jones
WASHINGTON, D.C.--Amid breathless anticipation for the president's second pick to the Supreme Court of the United States, President Trump spilled the beans on Twitter Monday afternoon that he had selected conspiracy theorist and talk show host Alex Jones as his nominee for the nation's highest court. Trump quickly called a press conference at which he ...
However we can reassure them "The Babylon Bee" comes with following dislaimer on every page:
The Babylon Bee is Your Trusted Source For Christian News Satire.
Some of their greatest past hits include:
- Joel Osteen Sails Luxury Yacht Through Flooded Houston To Pass Out Copies Of 'Your Best Life Now'
- Steven Furtick Signs 6-Year, $110 Million Contract With Lakewood Church
- Another Actress Accuses Kirk Cameron Of Treating Her With Respect
- ISIS Lays Down Arms After Katy Perry's Impassioned Plea To 'Like, Just Co-Exist'
With a track record like that it is clear that you shouldn't take anything posted on the site seriously and you definitely shouldn't confuse it with real news.
We wrote about babylonbee.com before, here are our most recent articles that mention the site:
- Fake News: Ken Ham NOT Ejected From Theater For Yelling 'WRONG' Every Time 'Jurassic World' Actors Say '65 Million Years'
- Fake News: House Democrats Did NOT Draft Legislation That Would Make It A Hate Crime To Eat At Chick-Fil-A
- Fake News: Obamas Did NOT Promise To Donate All Proceeds From Multimillion-Dollar Book, Netflix Deals To Combat Wealth Inequality
- Fake News: YouTube Did NOT Flag All 'Mister Rogers' Videos As Hate Speech
- Fake News: Taco Bell Will NOT Only Serve Customers Of Mexican Descent To Fight Cultural Appropriation